NEW SONY PRO COMPACT
Sony’s newly launched 4K-ready PXW-X70 is the first compact XDCAM professional camcorder and expands the file-based XDCAM family to a smaller form factor and lower price point. Suited to a range of applications from news-gathering and documentary to events work, the model features a 1-inch Exmor R CMOS sensor with 20 megapixel resolution, improved low light performance and greater depth of field control. The camcorder can record HD in XAVC Long GOP, enabling 4:2:2 10-bit sampling at 50Mbit/s allowing broadcast-quality workflow.
The PXW-X70 is the first professional compact camcorder from Sony to include wi-fi-enabled control via smartphone or tablet using the Content Browser Mobile application, and an upcoming release will add the ability to upgrade the PXW-X70 to record in 4K with file transferring and live video streaming capabilities.
“Over the past couple of years we’ve seen the broadcast industry really embrace the picture quality benefits associated with large sensors,” says Sony ANZ senior product manager Nick Buchner. “The one-inch sensor at the heart of the PXW-X70 sets a new standard for colour, depth and texture in a professional compact camcorder. Coupled with the ability to upgrade to 4K, this model represents a multi-purpose, future-proof option for customers looking for a tough camcorder which doesn’t compromise on image.”
- 1-inch type Exmor R CMOS Sensor and Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* lens for high sensitivity and resolution with 14.2 million effective pixels delivering improved detail and colour, even in low light conditions. The lens offers 12x Optical Zoom, which can be increased to 24x with Clear Image Zoom while retaining full resolution. Zoom performance can be doubled by up to 48x with a Digital Extender.
- The PXW-X70 weighs less than 1.4kg including the XLR handle unit, battery (NP-FV70), lens hood and large eye-cup. It offers professional interfaces such as 3G-SDI and HDMI output connectors plus a removable handle unit incorporating two XLR inputs and a zoom control. Other pro features include a manual lens ring that can intuitively control zoom and focus, ergonomic palm grip with large zoom lever, two SD memory card slots for backup, simultaneous and relay recording, and a three-level switchable ND filter.
- Multi recording format capabilities include XAVC, AVCHD and DV file-based recording. When recording in XAVC, the PXW-X70 uses the MXF file format, efficiently compressing full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution using the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 CODEC. Image sampling is 4:2:2 10-bit with high-efficiency Long-GOP compression at 50Mbps, 35Mbps or 25Mbps.
- Built-in wi-fi control functionality for monitoring and remote control versatility. Near Field Communication functions enable one-touch wireless LAN connection to a smartphone or tablet, while the Content Browser Mobile application allows confirmation of shot angles and operation of the camcorder by remote, including field angle setting, spot focus and iris adjustment.
- Upgrades to 4K and file transfer and streaming by wi-fi functions will be available in coming months.
The PXW-X70 will be available in Australia and New Zealand from October 2014; pricing has not yet been released.
Source: media release
Sony Australia: www.sony.com.au